Skip to content
Menstruation and Uterine Cramps
kniffen posted:
I just turned 46 years old, and I have been menstruating heavily for 9 weeks. I went to a doctor when it was 3 weeks. He did a uterine biopsy and said there was nothing wrong with me. He suggested that I do an ablation. However, I have read that the ablation is only 60% effective. When I mentioned that, he said, "Yes, that is true, but you will go from using 4 over night pads a day to about 2." Is it wrong for me to want this silliness to end? I am also bloated near my uterus, and I have severe cramping there on and off. I just want some relief. I tried taking Dong Quai (I am getting desperate), but as I am a heavy bleeder, I discontinued its use. I bleed and clot severely. In fact, during my biopsy, the doctor was pulling and pulling and said, "Why isn't this coming out?" Then he said, "Oh. There is a giant clot in the way." He had to remove the clot before he could continue with the biopsy. It was a horrific experience that provided no relief. He put me on birth control, but to no avail. My period keeps on coming. I am open to and desperate for suggestions.
Anon_6061 responded:
Did your doctor rule out fibroids and polyps? Those can cause heavy and prolonged bleeding. There are some other medication options besides BCP's. Here's a link that lists them and their maximum rate of flow reduction -

At least with medications, you can always stop or change them when you have side effects or they aren't effective. Not the case with procedures - you're stuck with any side effects and some can have permanent side effects. Here's a lengthy discussion (166 replies) about ablation -

Hope you get some relief soon!

Helpful Tips

I just learned the truth about Gianvi!
I just had my annual visit with ob/gyn today and mentioned that for the past year I have had a resurgence of horrible migraines. I asked if ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.