Skip to content
Long lasting periods
Iamabaker posted:
I have been off of birth controls for 3 months now. I was getting very light bleeding for 1-2 days at a time multiple times a month. Now, this month, I have had a period for a little over a week. Is this normal? Should I be concerned about a long lasting period?

georgiagail responded:
How long were your menstrual periods prior to you starting birth control?

Gail

Iamabaker replied to georgiagail's response:
It's been 15 year so I don't remember exactly. I don't remember them being more than a week.

Since coming off the birth control, my whole body has been out of wack. I just want to make sure that this is all normal.

georgiagail replied to Iamabaker's response:
It is not unusual that when one comes off hormone birth control, it can take a while (sometimes just a few months, often more than that and in some cases up to a year) for a normal schedule to return. This is because for all those years you were on them, they controlled when you bled, not your own body.

Because you were on the birth control for so long, this may be quite normal during the adjustment time.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.