Skip to content
Possible PCOS - What should I insist on?
skigirl1689 posted:
Hello,

I am 23 years old with some of the symptoms of PCOS: acne, excessive facial and stomach hair, some long cycles, heavy bleeding with large clots. I began menstruating when I was 14, almost 15, but did not have regular cycles until I was 18 and they still are sometimes irregular.

I was about 20 when the excessive hair became noticeable and asked my nurse practitioner about the possibility of PCOS. She said because my cycles were fairly regular, I did not have it and did not do any testing. She only offered me the pill which I am not a fan of so I did not go on it.

However, the hairiness has gotten progressively worse and my acne is not going away. I asked my relative who is a nurse if it was possible to have PCOS and still have regular cycles. She said yes, her sister has the condition but has normal cycles.

I am on a waiting list to see a new N.P. to get my antidepressant renewed. I want to get tested to make sure these symptoms do not indicate PCOS or other medical issues.

What testing should I request and what questions should I ask? If it is PCOS, are there alternative treatments other than the pill?

Thanks in advance!

RachelRaye07 responded:
I also have PCOS and I have found that the contraceptive, the Nuva Ring really helps. Good luck hun!

skigirl1689 replied to RachelRaye07's response:
Thanks! I would like to know what tests should I ask for when I get into see someone. I am worried my concerns will be brushed aside again.

rutherforddeni replied to skigirl1689's response:
Im 22 and I just got tested for PCOS and you need bloodwork (fasting insulin, and a few others..but don't worry it's just one needle) and an ultrasound for them to look at your uterus and ovaries and see if anything looks abnormal.

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.