Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
question re: rupture of ovarian cyst and endo biopsy the same week??
An_248819 posted:
I am not sure quite how this forum works but wanted to ask a question for Jane and the other women out there experiencing anything similar. 10 days ago had a endometrial biospy due irregular cycles. Benign, but a few days after biospy symptoms seemed to worsen Got bad aches in mid and lower back, a times felt nausea and lightheadness when tried to get up and move about much. Week later saw gyn, but me on antibiotics just in case. Had ultrasound that then detected a ruptured ovarian cyst. Symtoms over the last week semed more consistent with rupture then with endo biospy recover... they think ironic timing and aren't sure what is causing what? I am now 10 days from biospy and likely 8 days from when we think rupure occurred. I don't have pain anymore, but I still feel rather weak, and whenever I seem to do any light housework or care for my kids which requires physical efforts, I get overheated, lightheaded, thirsty and sometimes nauseous. Doctors say this shouldn't still be happenning if you are no longer in pain, and its a week out? They wonder if something else is going on? Cyst was 3 cm and liklely hem. cyst. They saw minimal fluid but some in pelvic cavity on Wed when had ultursound. Do these symptoms I am still experiencing normal or not a week after rupture, and likely still about fluid present from rupture.. how long until they go away? Just don't know when I will be able to expect to do normal activities again, or if its normal to talk this long and have these symptoms. Sorry for the long post.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: So glad that your endometrial biopsy results showed no abnormalities. But what a drag to have a probable ruptured ovarian cyst around the same time. Yes, it is likely coincidental as there is nothing in an endometrial biopsy which would initiate a cyst rupture.

Any discomfort form the biopsy should be gone within 12-24 hours (often even sooner). By contrast, a simple follicular cyst rupture should resolve within about 72 hours. You mentioned a probable hemorrhagic type ovarian cyst. If this is the case then the pain can be more prolonged.

Normally after ovulation, a corpus luteum cyst of less than 3 cm resolves within two weeks. This type of cyst will be maintained, if conception occurs, to produce hormones needed in early pregnancy. If excessive amounts of fluid collect, a corpus luteum cyst can also get large enough to cause pain—or very rarely, ovarian torsion. Occasionally, this type of cyst will have a small blood vessel which continues to bleed into a corpus luteum cyst. This is called a "hemorrhagic ovarian cyst". A cyst of this type can either leak small amounts of blood, or it can rupture, spilling blood into the abdomen. This hemorrhagic ovarian cyst can be linked to prolonged pain, and merits closer follow up.

Bottom line, if you have continued symptoms contact your GYN for follow up.

Yours,
Jane

ascr1112 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi Jane - THANK YOU so very much for your response. YES, gyn doc said it was a hemorrhagic cyst as radiologist did see on US that blood had gone into pelvic or /abdominal cavity. Based on my assumption of when I had the worst aches in the lower back - I think I am one week post rupture.. how long can these ruptured cysts leak blood, or how long until blood is absorbed by the body? My gyn doesn't think my current symptoms are related - which I find puzzling. Like when I do any physical activity like cleaning up the house for 20 minutes on my feet, I get lightheaded, overheated, thirsty, and have to sit down, and sometimes nauseous, but no pain now. Are these symptoms still considered part of a normal recovery a week after a hemorrhagic cyst? From reading I thought so, but she is saying not really with a 3 cm cyst. So, she is thinking I should go to internist - so I am confused. Pain is gone, but could these symptoms I still have be caused by blood continuing to leak or with gravity when up it pools? Lastly, I am expecting my period any day and a bit scared too as should I expect a worse painful period since I had this cyst this cycle, and biopsy this cycle. Thank you again for your responses. It is so helpful to get another opinion on all of this. Its been quite a week..

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to ascr1112's response:
Dear ascr: Generally the body will reabsorb and fluid (or blood) from a ruptured cyst over a week or so. The worst pain tends to be when the bulk of fluid ad/or blood is released as it splashes against the lining of the abdomen. If there is a large or very actively bleeding hemorrhagic ovarian cyst, the pain can be persistent. Usually if the amount of bleeding is relative scant the pain can be abrupt, but it would not cause you to be anemic or have suddenly low blood pressure. I would do what your GYN suggests in terms of follow up.

Gosh, its hard to predict how this next menstrual period will be for you. It might even not be on time because of the cyst. There is no expectation that it will be worse because of what you have endured this last month. Hope your GYN conditions will abate soon.

Yours,
Jane

ascr1112 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi Jane - thank you again so much for replying. I feel so forunate to have found your expertise on line. I feel like I have finally turned the corner now at over a week out. I can now finally get up and do a few things without feeling sick. I am now thinking that my lightheadedness, overheating, faint feelings may have been hot flashes if my horomones were likely out of whack due to cyst or in reverse. Would this be consistent with the hemmorrhagic cyst? Not sure if hot flahses can go as far as to make you so overheated you feel lightheaded, and I am only 42, but maybe that is what was going in the delayed recovery. Given I have had irregular periods at times very close together, and now this cyst, I wonder if its just the start of perimenopause? Still have some mild back soreness but seems like I am now able to get around, and hopefully, with the period coming, this will all resolve, and cyst will just reabsorb. Thanks.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.