Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tubal and Pregnancy
Motherof5 posted:
I had a tubal ligation in 2007 the morning after my 5th child was born, I was happy with my decision for along time. Shortly after my sosn's birth I got a divorce, a few years later I married the man of my dreams. He had a vacetomy a few years before we married and I had the tubal. Just a few weeks ago I found out that I was pregnant. I was beyond shocked because I didn't even think it could ever be a possibility. At 7 weeks and 2 days I miscarried our baby. I didn't realize how bad I wanted it until the lord took it back. My question is, if I got pregnant once, what is the odds of it happening again? My heart is completely shattered.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I would say odds are pretty low.

FaithandHope responded:
If you are interested, I went to this GREAT Hospital in North Carloina called Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal and had a tubal reversal. It is $8,000 cheaper then in my home town.. Best wishes!!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Mother0f5: So sorry for your loss. That conception must have seemed like a miracle!

The one of the largest studies to look at pregnancy rates after reversal of bilateral tubal ligation (BTL) was done in Korea. The results of micro-surgical reversal of BTL was studied in 1,100 Korean woman (Kim, 1997). The majority of women had been sterilized by cautery/burning of their tubes. The average time between BTL and request for reversal was 4.25 years. The estimated success in restoring more normal anatomy was 88% with a pregnancy rate of 55%. Of those that did conceive, about 72% delivered a child.

Surprisingly, there was no difference in pregnancy rates between the different types of BTL, nor between women whose reversal was much later and those that tried reversal close to sterilization. The best pregnancy rates occurred in the younger women, and among those who had longer sections of healthy tube to sew together.

Alas, I don't know about success rates of vasectomy reversal. A good fertility MD could give you the most for sure answer.

In Support,
Jane

Motherof5 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you ladies for all of the info. Through much pushing and prodding I went and had a sonogram done to make sure that I had a complete miscarriage. To my sorrow my pregnancy was ectopic. Due to my low HCG level (it was a 2.39) the doctor told me that my body would just absorb the baby on its own. I am a ball of confusion, not sure what to think at this point. I was positive that I wanted another child with my husband, but this ordeal has been worse than terrible. I am scared that it is going to happen again and that it will be another ectopic pregnancy. The odds of us becoming pregnant was was basically 1 in a 1,000,000; but what are the odds of it occuring twice? I have thought about reversals and even IVF, but again I don't know if I could go through all of that to lose another baby. My husband won't agree to the IVF because they insert more than one fertilized egg, and he is scared to death that we would have multiples lol, thanks again guys!

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.