Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Help can I be pregnant!!!
connie27 posted:
Hi everyone,I am knew to this but I need help... I had a tubal ligation (tied method) almost 3 yrs ago. Last mth which was October I experinced spotting that lasted for 3 days along with headaches upset stomach and a whole buch of p signs. anyway I went to the hospital and got blood work done this past Saturday which was Nov.3 rd and did an blood test that came back neg. I am now spotting again and have been since the 3rd... what can possibly be wrong??? weight gain only around my waist and stomach. I now have a nigra linea and its darker, the hospital did an us and they didnt see anything in my uterus or my tubes. Can I be sufferring from ptls? someone please help I don't know what to do anymore...

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear connie: If a blood pregnancy test was negative, and the ultrasound did not visualize any signs of a pregnancy then it is unlikely that pregnancy is the cause of your symptoms. You definitely did the right thing in getting a full work up as there is an increased risk for a tubal/ectopic pregnancy in women who accidentally conceive after a tubal ligation.

In terms of the spotting, that can arise if a woman has an ovarian cyst, fibroids, polyps of the lining of the uterus, or even an infection with chlamydia. An ultrasound would be able to evaluate for all of these (except chlamydia infection). Yet if you are in a monogamous relationship a STD is unlikely.

You did not mention if you are having regular menstrual cycles. If not then there may be something which is interfering with regular ovulations. Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with children,boyfriends/girlfriends, finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. Missed ovulations can change the normal hormonal patterns.

If your pregnancy-type symptoms persist the search may have to be widened for their exact cause. Your GYN or clinic would be the place to start. They will likely recheck a sensitive pregnancy test as well.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.