Skip to content
Ovarian Cyst Concerns
Roo81 posted:
Hi there. I was hoping to gain a little insight regarding ovarian cysts as I was recently diagnosed and am weighing my options.

Long story short..

I have been having bouts of severe abdominal pain since the spring of this year and since I already have IBS I went to see my gastro Dr. about it. She didn't really know what the pain could be but we decided to monitor it for now. In May I had a trip to the ER due to horrific pain during my period... I am talking crying and laying on the floor in the fetal position pain. They did a CT and said I had colitis as they saw fluid in my colon and pelvis and said to follow up with my gastro Dr. I follow up with her and she recommends we do a colonoscopy and that comes back perfectly normal. I am back in her office again with another bout of severe pain and she says well maybe it's your ovarian cyst. I say, "What cyst????" She then tells me that she happened to look over my CT from the hospital from MAY and we are now in October at this point and says that it indicated an ovarian cyst that was 5.2cm at that time. I told her the ER never said a word about it, I had no idea. So, I go see my OB/GYN and they schedule an ultrasound.

I had the US yesterday and they said what I have on my ovary is two cysts that have grown together to form a cyst mass that measures almost 7cm total now. They also said it looks to be a hemorrhagic or endometrioma. I also have 3 small uterine fibroid but they said they should not cause me issues with their size right now. So the NP says "Well we can just wait and see if they go away (which so far they have no after 6 months since the first time they were discovered) or I can consider surgery" I decided to set up a surgery consult to get more info.

Am I overreacting by considering surgery for this kind/size cyst?? I of course have started researching them and from what I find, these kind of cysts seem to not resolve themselves at this size and the fact that they are blood filled or endometrioma. If I wait, I fear that my pain will keep getting worse and either I will have torsion or it'll burst. That said, I don't want to jump the gun if it "may" go away. Any insight would be great!!

Thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry for all you've been through! Unbelievable that the cyst was there in May and you're just now finding out about it. However, at least it has the appearance of being benign. According to this site http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm hemorrhagic cysts usually resolve on their own but endometriomas do not.

If you decide on surgical removal, you may want to insist that only the cyst be removed and not the ovary. However, sometimes it's impossible to save the ovary. But if you find a surgeon who has the skills to do cystectomy, he/she can usually save enough of the ovary for hormone production. The above link says "Removing a cyst, called a cystectomy, is like taking a clam out of the shell. The thinned out ovarian tissue is cut open, and the cyst is gently peeled away from inside the ovary. The cyst fluid is then removed with a suction device. The cyst now looks like a deflated balloon and can easily be removed through the small laparoscopy incision.Rarely, if a cyst has destroyed all the normal ovarian tissue, it may be necessary to remove the entire ovary and it is possible to do this, as well, with the laparoscope."

Best of luck to you in getting this taken care of! Please let us know how it all goes.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.