Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
TTC after removing CopperT
An_248906 posted:
I am 33 years of age and I highly feel that I should have a 2nd baby now. I had the copperT inserted in March 2005 when my son was 3 months and then removed it in August 2012. In the month of June, July 2012 I had ver less bleeding during menstruation (just 2 days, and it was over completely; generally it is for 4-5 days atleast) I removed the copperT in August 2012, and since then we are TTC., but no luck so far. I am observing that my periods are getting back to normal flow, but I am getting a little disappointed because I am eagerly waiting for the baby's good news... Before removing the copperT I had an ultrasound done, and it was seen on the screen that the copperT had slipped from its original place and that was also one of the reasons to get it removed.[br>[br>How much time does it take to conceive again after removing the copperT. We both are eagerly waiting for the good news... Are there any problems if you get pregnant after age of 33?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: There are two types of IUDs in North American use currently—the older Paragard Copper T and the newer synthetic progesterone releasing Mirena. So are there any differences in the return to fertility between the two types of IUDs? Generally there is no statistical difference in pregnancy rates after the removal of either type of IUD. One particularly good study randomly assigned women to one of the two types of IUD, then followed the time to pregnancy after the IUDs were removed. In this study, time to conception after Copper T removal was 3 months and 4 months for the Mirena (Belhadj, 1986). It is important to note that the women in these studies had had prior pregnancies thus known fertility--like yourself.

In a retrospective study of 2269 women (Hassan, 2004), 82 women used a non-hormonal IUD and 13 used the Mirena. Compared to women using condoms, the time to pregnancy in non-hormonal IUD users was twice as long. The Mirena users had the same time to pregnancy (about 4 months) as condom users. Bottom line, time to conception would likely be 3-8 months based upon the available studies.

In terms of your age, you MIGHT take slightly longer to conceive at 33 than at 23, but the real decline in fertility seems to be after age 35. This is a generality as we all know women who accidentally conceived in their later 40's. If your health is good (no diabetes, high blood pressure, not severely overweight, etc.) your pregnancy will likely be a healthy one. While more of the screening tests for pregnancy problems are done in women over age 35, your own OB is the best resource to answer what types of prenatal testing you may be offered.

Best wishes in conceiving soon.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.