Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
PCOS/Hypoglycemia
ChristineElise03 posted:
About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia, put on medicine and it was managed fairly well. I was 5'5 at an unreal 317 pounds then, and because of the medicine and change in lifestyle, I've dropped to around 268. Still more than what I should be, but I'm working on it! I've recently visited a new gynocologist, who believes I have insulin-resistant PCOS and has ordered all sorts of blood tests, ultrasound and everything associated with this new disorder I'm being faced with...

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared. I don't want to become diabetic, which is an end result if I have PCOS and it doesn't get treated. I'm also scared at the thought of not knowing what to eat, how to eat... it's all a new world to me and I just don't know where to start. I'm going back to the doctor in a few days for a follow-up, lab results, and ultrasound. I guess I'm just wanting to see if anyone else is going through this similiar situation?

I'm only 27 and have struggled with weight issues my entire life, so this all explains so much, but it seems so contradictory. What I've read and told, hypoglycemia is when your blood sugar gets too low (I was blacking out/fainting before I went to the doctor).. so they put me on Metformin 1000mg a day and it's definitely helped my symptoms and controlled my appetite. I've recently been feeling so thirsty, like it's unquenchable.. I know that's a sign of diabetes. I've always thought diabetes is when your sugar is too high, but I don't understand how that's possible if I'm hypoglycemic.

Just confused.. and could use some advice/guidance from those who are going through/have gone through the same thing. Thanks all.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear ChristineElise: Kudos to you for the amazing weight loss. I have a friend who topped out at 300 pounds and after a year of weight loss her whole world opened up. I wish the same for you!

As your GYN likely mentioned being heavy set is strongly correlated to the development of PCOS. From the GYN perspective PCOS causes menstrual problems and infertility due to absent ovulations. Often increased production of male hormones from the ovaries will prompt unwanted hair growth and acne. Conversely, getting back to a normal body weight can make PCOS changes go away.

You are not diabetic now (yeah!) despite being heavy set. There is an increased risk for type 2 diabetes with both obesity and a history of PCOS. Your work up will include both blood sugar and insulin tests. Hopefully they will be relatively normal due to your weight loss and the metformin treatment.

I am assuming that your hypoglycemia was diagnosed with a blood sugar test during a time with symptoms, and that it was present before the metformin use (certain medications can prompt hypoglycemia). Hopefully the MD who is prescribing your metformin can give you the most specific answer about the cause of your hypoglycemia.

If you are diagnosed with PCOS, we have a PCOS Community Board of women with questions and experiences with PCOS. Follow this link for more extensive information, and then click on the Community link to connect with those women:

http://women.webmd.com/pcos-directory

In Admiration,
Jane

sandibeach53 responded:
From what I've heard, there are two kinds, either low blood sugar or high blood sugar. Maybe a cookbook for Diabetes would be a good place to start for recipes.I myself don't have this but a good friend of mine was able to get off of insulin injections compleatly with a change of diet. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.