Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extended period
OnlyMe posted:

I am twenty three years old and began menstruating at the age of twelve. My periods have always been regular but this month for the first time I am having a prolonged period for more than 14 days. Ultra sound ruled out other complications and now my doctor is suggesting that I use Yaz.I have never used a contraceptive in my life and would not like to begin now. I also know of the complications with Yaz and have refused it.

Is there an alternative to contraception? What is a low dose contraceptive that I may use ? if I choose a contraceptive how long do I use it, can I only take one months supply.

Anon_6061 responded:
Since you've had regular periods up to now, I agree with you that it seems excessive to start contraceptives. There are some other meds that can be used for heavy or prolonged bleeding. A short course of a progestin or tranexamic acid (Lysteda) or even an NSAID like ibuprofen (OTC or Rx) can reduce flow. Of course, you want to avoid aspirin or anything else that thins the blood. Here are a couple of links on heavy bleeding -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/

Of course, if your periods don't return to normal, further diagnostics would be in order including but not limited to an endocrine workup to check thyroid and pituitary function and even clotting factors. If no gyn or non-gyn problems are found, then it seems contraceptives would be worth trying since they have a good track record of regulating the cycle.

Let us know when and how you end up getting this bleeding stopped.

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.