Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Extended period
OnlyMe posted:

I am twenty three years old and began menstruating at the age of twelve. My periods have always been regular but this month for the first time I am having a prolonged period for more than 14 days. Ultra sound ruled out other complications and now my doctor is suggesting that I use Yaz.I have never used a contraceptive in my life and would not like to begin now. I also know of the complications with Yaz and have refused it.

Is there an alternative to contraception? What is a low dose contraceptive that I may use ? if I choose a contraceptive how long do I use it, can I only take one months supply.
Anon_6061 responded:
Since you've had regular periods up to now, I agree with you that it seems excessive to start contraceptives. There are some other meds that can be used for heavy or prolonged bleeding. A short course of a progestin or tranexamic acid (Lysteda) or even an NSAID like ibuprofen (OTC or Rx) can reduce flow. Of course, you want to avoid aspirin or anything else that thins the blood. Here are a couple of links on heavy bleeding -

Of course, if your periods don't return to normal, further diagnostics would be in order including but not limited to an endocrine workup to check thyroid and pituitary function and even clotting factors. If no gyn or non-gyn problems are found, then it seems contraceptives would be worth trying since they have a good track record of regulating the cycle.

Let us know when and how you end up getting this bleeding stopped.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 103 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.