Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal hysterectomy and bladder sling
An_248936 posted:
I just had a vaginal hysterectomy (kept ovaries) and bladder sling 2 days ago. From what I was told the surgery went very well, and there were no complications. My first day home, I was pretty sore, and of course had a little difficulty urinating. However, I was urinating. Today, I am extremely bloated, and seem to not be able to urinate although I feel the need to. I have also noticed that I have not had a bowel movement today. Should I be concerned that there is an issue with the bladder sling? Or is it possible that I am just constipated?
Thank you

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: The difficulty with urination can be related to the sling procedure. PLEASE let your surgeon know right away if you are having urinary retention.

The lack of a bowel movement is not uncommon after a surgery. This can be attributed to narcotic pain medication, decreased exercise, diet/fluid changes. The abdominal bloating MIGHT be related to slowed peristalsis associated with constipation. Mention this to your surgeon when you call about the urinary retention just so they have the entire clinical history. They may make specific recommendations for the constipation including stool softeners, fiber/bulk agents, or fluids.

Gosh, I hope the urinary retention is the result of local edema around the urethra, or severe constipation/fecal impaction which can create reversible urinary retention by urethral pressure. Here is a citation which reviews the causes of urinary retention:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/UrinaryRetention/

In Concern,
Jane

DoubleRainbows responded:
I had the same procedure. The only way I can urinate, is to put pressure on my rear end near my anus...which puts pressure on the bladder in order to urinate. What the doctors do not tell you BEFORE this 'procedure' is that your bladder will now be like a peanut...large on top and on the bottom and skinny in the middle. As the lower part of your bladder fills, the upper part will subsequently fill. When this happens, the upper part will "fold" over the band causing the urine to be trapped and ultimately you will need to go to your local clinic to have a catheter inserted for a couple of days. Then the cycle starts over. Find an area on your rear or abdomen (which ever may work for you) to apply pressure on your bladder every time you go to the bathroom.
Start taking Oil of Oregano, one drop at a time, up to 3 times a day as it acts like antibiotics for bladder infections and will help to keep your bladder clean, so you don't end up with an infection caused by the stagnant urine. This comes from my own experience as the doctors are not much help after they've done their part with surgery.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.