Skip to content
An_248944 posted:
After having our first daughter in 2004 while we were still young, we decided to take our time with giving our child a sibling. Little did I know that next time would not be as easy or fast. 8-9 years later we still have an only child I must admit that we were not too worried until recently so neither of us have really been to the doctors in a very long time! We are pretty desperate, well I am anyway, my husband just wants a baby but is definitely not stressing out like I am. Not too sure where to start, please help?
georgiagail responded:
The usual recommendation is if you have been trying for a pregnancy for at least a year without success, it is time to make an appointment with a fertility specialist for both your and your husband to undergo some fertility testing.

Just because there were not issues back on 2004 is no guarantee that some health issue hasn't developed in the meantime and if so, these may be negatively affecting fertility.

Anon_6061 responded:
Secondary infertility is fairly common - almost 20% of couples. There's a lot of info out there - just Google it. Also, it's not always directly related to a problem with your reproductive system or your age. Endocrine system abnormalities such as thyroid or pituitary can affect fertility. An endocrinologist can do a workup to rule out an endocrine problem. A reproductive endocrinologist or fertility specialist would be the "go to" doctor for a full workup and fertility treatment. Good luck in finding out the cause and conceiving!

Helpful Tips

Orange Menstrual Blood
Hi my names Jessica and I'm 22. I usually have normal cycles lasting about 28 days and last for about 5-6 days. I just started last night ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.