Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
HELP!! Irregular Period or Pregnant?
An_249002 posted:
Hi this past March I found out I was 3 1/2 months pregnant however, my period was irregular since August 2011. I did not get in in August 2011 September I did but October I didn't. I've also been on the (IUD since November 2008). November 2011 (Thanksgiving Day) I had these really sharp painful cramps, brought tears to my eyes. I had my period in December for 2 days nothing really came down only spots on the tissue really dark brown dried up type of blood. Same thing in January, nothing in February. UNtil March my cousin made me take a pregnancy test and it stated I was pregnant. Now I had the same issue in Sept 2012 October I didn't get my period, I took 1 test negative. Waited 2 more weeks negative again. Waited until the first week of November negative. However last week I started to get my "period" it was just like last DEcember (only on the tissue dark brown color for only 3-4 days). I am wondering could it be possible that I"m pregnant again? Or any type of advice would help....Thanks

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: So you conceived with an IUD in place and were found to have a 14 week pregnancy in March of this year. There was also a positive pregnancy test done in March. Currently, you have not had a real flow since September, but have had several negative pregnancy tests--hope I am tracking you correctly.

If you still have an IUD, and are having any signs of pregnancy, you should see your GYN as there is an increased risk of an ectopic/tubal pregnancy. If you now have the Mirena type of IUD and have no pregnancy signs the missed flows/spotting could be a result of the hormones in the IUD.

Bottom line, given that you have had a history of an undetected pregnancy early this year, I would advise you to go back to the GYN or clinic which has been managing your care. They will repeat the urine test, and can order a blood pregnancy test if indicated.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.