Skip to content
Menstrual Cycle and Pregnancy
MichelleS0521 posted:
I am 25 years old and have been taking birth control for 8 years. My husband and I have decided were ready to try and conceive so I stopped taking my birth control x3 months ago. I have not had a menstrual cycle yet. After the 1st month of my missed period, I have taken at home pregnancy test every week and all of them have come up negative. I know after being on birth control for so long sometimes your body needs time to adjust, but it's so frustrating not have a period. I have always had very regular cycles that last 5 days and are not heavy, so not having a cycle at all just feels weird to me. Especially since its been 3 months now. Any advice on what I need to do? I have contacted my OB/GYN x1 month ago and she didn't seem to worried about it, but it's starting to bother me now.

georgiagail responded:
It's important to understand that while you were on hormone containing birth control, these controlled when you bled, not your own body. Once you are off of these, it is not unusual to take a fair amount of months (and in unusual cases, up to a year) for normal menstruation to return. This can, of course, be very frustrating if a couple is trying for a pregnancy.

Gail

MichelleS0521 replied to georgiagail's response:
So do you think I should just wait it out? I read in a couple of articles that I could possibly take prometrium to help me start my cycle again. It is very frustrating right now b/c we do not know when I am ovulating.

georgiagail replied to MichelleS0521's response:
You can wait it out or you can discuss this with your gynecologist. Since you are not menstruating it is unlikely you are ovulating.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.