Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hysterectomy recovery
lws14 posted:
My wife had a hysterectomy 3 wks ago due to a borderline serous tumor on her ovaries She also had her appendix removed among biopsies of surrounding areas and lymph nodes that were all negative She feels a little better but seems to have a good day bad day She is still having discomfort nausea and headaches on occasion depending which day it is How long will these symptoms last and is there anything she can take besides the Motrin she's been using?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Iws: Generally we tell women that a full recovery can take from 4 to 8 weeks for open abdominal hysterectomy, and from 1 to 2 weeks for vaginal and laparoscopic hysterectomies. As she was likely told she should avoid heavy lifting and tub baths for a full 6 weeks. Intercourse can be resumed after six weeks as well.

Hopefully she has been able to rest frequently and only do light duties. Headaches are best managed with non-narcotic pain meds (eg her Motrin). Nausea can be related to pain or constipation. It is better to try and treat the underlying cause (eg with prescriptive pain medfs and stool softeners) if that can be determined. Here is a link to at home care for weeks 3 & 4 after a hysterectomy:

www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pst.htm

If she is still having significant discomfort/nausea/headaches she should let her surgeon know. They can give the most "for sure" answer since they know the details of her procedure.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

My problem
I am 18yrs old female. I am a very sensitive and innocent girl. This incident happened last year. I had an affair with my boyfriend. After ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.