Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
endometrial cells post hysterectomy
mnfun2bme posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy in May 2011 (uterus removed). They choose to leave my cervix and ovaries as I am 46. Today I received a call that my pap smear from last week they discovered endometrial cells in my cervix. It was explained to me that the type of cells they found are usually found in the uterus and since I don't have one, they are concerned. We have scheduled a colposcopy. At my appointment last week, I was also told that my cervix is falling. I don't know if the smart thing to do is to go through the colposcopy when the doctor made it sound like my cervix would need to be removed at some point because it's falling. If anyone has knowledge or experience with any of this, I would love to hear from you.

sjb05151956 responded:
It makes sense that the cervix can prolapse after hysterectomy just as the vagina can prolapse after the uterus and cervix are removed. The support structures that held everything in place were severed so that support is gone. This website http://vaginalsurgeryandurogynecologyinstitute.com/vaginal-prolapse says "Post-Hysterectomy Vaginal Vault Prolapse is a specific clinical condition in women who have had a hysterectomy, complete removal of the cervix and the uterus. In this circumstance, the top of the vagina gradually sags, falling toward the vaginal opening effectively turning the vagina inside out. In patients who have undergone a partial hysterectomy, removal of the uterus but not the cervix (supracervical hysterectomy), a cervical stump prolapse would be the synonymous condition."

That happened awfully quickly. My vagina is no longer a "straight shot" so it must be falling too. I'll be grossed out if it turns inside out!

If it were me especially since this happened so quickly, I'd find a good pelvic reconstruction doctor if I was going to have it corrected (not sure how they even correct it though).

If you're sexually active, can your partner tell the difference? Just curious.

mnfun2bme replied to sjb05151956's response:
I'm sitting here stunned after reading your reply. I guess it all makes sense and I will certainly read the web attachment but I'm stunned and feeling somewhat sick about the whole thing. Is the top of your vagina sewn shut or is it just a tunnel into the abdomenal cavity? How does all of this impact everything else in the abdonminal cavity?
I have a feeling I'm about to learn more than I could have ever imagined about the whole thing. I have so many dots to connect to have it all make sense to me. Certainly gravity and the strained bowel movements I'm having must be playing a part in all of it.

sjb05151956 replied to mnfun2bme's response:
Constipation seems to be a common complaint. My bowels are totally messed up. My bladder has issues off and on - doesn't always empty completely. Not sure why it's fine for awhile and then acts up - didn't have any of these issues prior. And sex is a disappointment. My belly is disgusting too even though I'm very thin.

sjb05151956 responded:
You didn't mention the reason for your hysterectomy but if you didn't have endometrial cancer or hyperplasia with atypia, it doesn't seem like those endometrial cells would be a problem. Do some investigation in medical journals. A gynecology pathologist would seem to know but don't know how you get in touch with one of those!

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.