Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Amenorrhea?
An_249024 posted:
I'm 21 and I haven't been active in 7mos, after the last time, my menstrual was acting a little weird. It came on for 2 mos and then it went away, along with my sex drive. It stayed off for 3 mos straight. (I took 3 pregnancy test, 2 at home and one at the hospital... all negative). So it decided to finally come on this month, as a regular cycle, but there was a discharge that looked as if it had come on for the very first time. More brown than red. So its stays on for 5 and spots for two days. A week later after the spotting, I notice a weird or slight tingling or irritable feeling in my pelvic region. 2 days after the tingling, I find my self spotting very irregularly and a little bit heavier than regular spotting, but way lighter than my period, and bright tinted. Any ideas?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: The most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. The good news is that you have enough estrogen to make a lining that does shed most times.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period. Alternatively the lining can begin to shed irregularly creating either too-light or too heavy prolonged flows.

There can be MANY causes for not ovulating: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with boyfriends/girlfriends, finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

Given that you have been having this occur for the past 6-7 months I would urge you to see a GYN or your local county family planning clinic. They can evaluate for an ovarian cyst or other causes.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.