Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diagnosed with 'thick endometrium lining'
SavedOne posted:
I have been diagnosed with thick endometrium lining. I am premenoposal at 48 years old. On occasion,,,I will have a normal period,,then it will return 2-3 days after stopping and will continue another few days. My doctor said that we will keep track of this and when it happens again, she would want me to have another ultrasound and take it from there. I did have a biopsy and ultrasound for this problem 2 years ago. The biopsy was normal and the ultrasound revealed the thickening of the unterine lining. I am now concerned since I read that this could lead to abnormal cells developing and cancer. Should I be more proactive in getting this taken care of or should I just wait until the abnormal bleeding happens again? I'm concerned.

Saved One

Take the Poll

Concern about 'thick endometrium walls'.
  • be more proactive
  • don't worry about it
vote
View Poll Results

sjb05151956 responded:
With the missed ovulations and erratic periods of perimenopause, thickening of the endometrium is fairly common. The lining should be thinnest right after a period so a u/s would seem most useful at that point. Most hyperplasia does not progress to cancer and most are treatable with a progestin. Hyperplasia with atypia is more concerning than without atypia. Here are a couple of resources:
http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq147.pdf
http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=3184
Table 2 (about mid-page) shows regression, persistence and progression rates by type (simple, complex, with and without atypia).

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.