Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lump near my vagina
An_249027 posted:
I have a lump/knot on the left side of my vagina,(it's on the what I call the puffy part beside the lips where your hair grows) it is very sore and about the size of a plum seed and it feels like knots coming off of it too kinda like roots. it is not an ingrown hair because I have had those before and I'm 99.9% sure it is not type of STD for I am married and have been for the past 11 years. it does not look to be discolored or anything, just really sore and I am not sure what it is. what could it be and should I be worried??

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: My best GUESS would be that you have a Bartholin's gland cyst. Here is a link to an description of this type of cyst and the types of treatments used:

http://women.webmd.com/tc/bartholin-gland-cyst-topic-overview

If it is not resolving, is tender, or is growing larger you definitely need to see your GYN. I have seen such cysts be as large as a walnut or golf ball. In this instance the GYN would open the cyst so it vcan drain and prescribe antibiotics if indicated. Unfortunately, Bartholin's gland cysts tend to reoccur. If this happens, the entire gland can be removed, or the area can be sutured open so normal fluids cannot collect.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.