Skip to content
Strange Menstral Cycles
SaraS84 posted:
From the time I had my first period to just last July(2012) my periods have been fairly normal. for the most part they always started around the same time each month and lasted about the same amount of days. With the few outliers of an extra period or skipping one.

But now my body is acting really strange! First off I skipped my cycle for the Month of August which I really didn't think anyone on since it has happened before, not to mention I have not been intimate for well over a year. And then September came around and I started my period, but it was all old blood and it lasted a good week and then the fresh stuff started to flow and it was heavy from start to finish, which took 2 weeks! So that period was in essence 3 weeks long!

When it was over I was overjoyed and summed it up as to having skipped the last my body was just getting rid of everything that was there.

I was given little over a week of a break and then I started again and it was a mirror image of Septembers flow. 3 weeks long!

Yet again when it was finally over I was really happy and that has been little over a week maybe pushing 10 days and I am starting to get that familiar feeling that I am about ready to start.

And as a side note during these two very long periods never did I ever feel any sort of extra pain besides the normal one to two days of cramps, no bad headaches, being extra tired/sore. Nor did I feel dizzy at any time.

Is this normal?!

A little background: I am 28 years old and slightly overweight for my size and high blood pressure.I have the means to check my blood sugar and it is normal. Also, I find tampons to be painful so I am stuck with pads(I went through a large box of heavy overnights in one 3 week cycle) . The last year has been very stressful, bad breakup from a nearly 10 year relationship, lost my job and have yet to find a new one.

Any words of advice, similar stories...anything would be helpful.

Thank you!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Bleeding for over a week is not normal and needs to be checked out by a doctor.

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.