Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
no period in eight months and NOT pregnant.
An_249143 posted:
Last March I had the mother of all periods. I bled for a week and a half. They were so bad that within an hour the tampon was coming out on its own. In fact when I would sit on the toilet the tampons would fall out of me. The last couple of days were not too bad. And that was the last time i had my period. I have taken pregnancy tests through out this whole eight months since and they are all negative. please help.

georgiagail responded:
What does your Gynecologist say regarding this matter?

Gail

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: georgiagail; is correct (as usual). However I would like to add some additional information about missed periods, OK?

If the pregnancy test is negative then the next most common cause of a missed period is not having ovulated that cycle. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period.

If you have been several months without a period, a gynecologist may give you some progesterone in a pill form (eg Provera 10 mg for 5 days). Within 48-72 hours after stopping the progesterone your "progesterone blood level" will fall, triggering the release of the lining that has been building up. Many women report that these periods are very heavy-- as though several months of lining are shed.

Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with parents or boyfriends/girlfriends, exams), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

There is a second, less common cause for not having a period. In some women the estrogen levels become very low. The levels are so low that no uterine lining is available to be shed. When these women are given the progesterone pills to take, no flow occurs after the medication is finished. This tells the GYN that the woman is not making enough estrogen to produce a thickened uterine lining.

Lastly, everything I have just shared with you pertains to women who are NOT using a form of hormonal birth control. If you are using an oral contraceptive, or DepoProvera, or other hormonal contraceptive you may miss a period (s) for an entirely different reason. Once pregnancy has been "ruled out" (because even reliable methods fail) one can usually assume that the missed period is "normal" or "OK". Unlike the scenarios discussed above, women on hormonal contraception have both estrogen and progesterone available. If the synthetic progesterone is dominant, it can artificially make the uterine lining very thin. So the woman misses her "Pill period" or it is very much lighter than normal. Of note, if you are on a form of hormonal contraception, and you miss a period (s), you will not have a uterine lining build up.

As georgiagail suggested, I would urge any woman who suddenly begins to misses periods consult with her GYN. They will help you sort out which of the reasons mentioned above is the cause for your lack of a period.

Yours in Going with the Flow,
Jane

Helpful Tips

When is it appropriate to remove an IUD?
I have had my IUD inserted after my baby was born three years ago. When would it be suitable to have it removed? I know it is ok to have ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.