Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
change in menstrual cycle
An_249166 posted:
I have cycles that average 36 days, I am trying to conceive for a year now, I started taking Vitex Angus Castus to regulate my cycles better and possibly increase fertility. This last cycle was cut down to 31 days, when should I expect my next period?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: It is difficult to predict with accuracy when your next flow would appear. That cycle length has decreased is encouraging--especially if that is linked to more regular ovulations. You might decide to evaluate ovulation frequency with either ovulation predictor kits or even with basal body temperature charting.

Literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site about Vitex and fertility yielded this older citation. I think it is one of the better studies because some women were randomly given placebo doses:

Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2000 Aug;7(4):190-9.
[The efficacy of the complex medication Phyto-Hypophyson L in female, hormone-related sterility. A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical double-blind study>.
[Article in German>
Bergmann J, Luft B, Boehmann S, Runnebaum B, Gerhard I.
Source

Abteilung f?r Gyn?kologische Endokrinologie und Fertilit?tsst?rungen, Universit?ts-Frauenklinik, Heidelberg.

In a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study, the effects of Phyto Hypophyson L (Steierl-Pharma GmbH, Herrsching, Germany), an Agnus castus-containing homeopathic preparation, were investigated in 67 women with fertility disorders.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:

37 women with oligomenorrhea [INFREQUENT PERIODS---JHH> and 30 women with amenorrhea received 50 drops of Phyto Hypophyson L or placebo 3 times a day over 3 months or 3 cycles. OUTCOME MEASURE AND RESULTS: The outcome measure being spontaneous menstruation, improved concentration of progesterone in the luteal phase, shortening of the cycle, earlier ovulation, and pregnancy was achieved in 38 out of 67 women. It was achieved more often from women with oligomenorrhea in the Phyto Hypophyson L group compared to the placebo group (82 versus 45%, p = 0.021). However, there was no significant effect when viewing the whole group. The baby take-home rate during the therapy and 6 months after the end of the therapy showed a ratio of 6 : 2 (18.7 : 6.4%). This result was not significant. Furthermore, in the oligomenorrhea verum group we observed a significant increase of progesterone during the luteal phase compared to the oligomenorrhea placebo group. Only very few undesirable drug effects were observed.
CONCLUSION:

In women with sterility and oligomenorrhea, a treatment with Phyto Hypophyson L can be recommended over a period of 3-6 months.

Bottom line An_249166, if you have been trying to conceive for 12 months, that is the cut off time when it is time to see a GYN or clinic for an evaluation. They can assess for ovulations as well as tubal factors and male factors. Hope you conceive soon.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.