Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Inner Labia hang outside body, is this normal?
An_248493 posted:
My inner labia hang a little outside of my body. Is this normal? Im afraid to let my boyfriend see because I don't know if he will think its gross.

Take the Poll

Is this common?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

rhondamay responded:
Very normal!

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/giveem_some_lip_labia_that_clearly_aint_minor

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, normal and if your boyfriend does think it's gross, he's not the one for you.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: While I concur with Rhondamay and tlkittycat, I would like to share some surprising scientific studies about labial size. There was an outstanding survey of "normal" size genitalia that was done in 2005 (Lloyd, BJOG). Fifty pre-menopausal women were digitally photographed and measured while under anesthesia (don't worry they did sign a consent to do this). The average width of the labia majora (large vaginal lips) was about 7/8 of an inch (21.8 mm). But the range was in size was ? inch to 2 inches (7-50 mm). Average clitoral length was ? of an inch, but a range of 3/8 of an inch to 1 ? inch.

More recently investigators in Turkey (Basaran, 2008) measured the labia minora (smaller inner vaginal laps) in 50 premenopausal women, and 50 non-hormone using postmenopausal women. In this comparison the younger women had an average inner labia width of almost ? of an inch (18 mm), while the older group measured an average of 6/8 of an inch (15 mm).

In conclusion, while looking to see what is available in popular literature, I have found myself in some unusual internet sites. There are people who specifically seek out, and are attracted to, women with genital measurements that do not look like an air brushed photo. Perhaps there is a cycle of fashion for such things and some day we'll see advertisements for collagen injections to make one's labia "bigger, fuller, more attractive and alluring"!

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.