Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal pain while on period
An_249189 posted:
My daughter is having vaginal pain while on her period. She is complaining of vaginal pain and soreness. She has also stated that she feels as if she can not go to the bathroom. What could it be? She is not sexually active. This pain has been going on for a couple of months. thanks!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: There are a number of POSSIBLE explanations for vaginal pain and soreness during menstruation:

1. Referred pain from contractions of the uterus into the vaginal area---Some women will experience menstrual cramps in the vagina, lower back or even the insides of their thighs. This is because of shared nerve pathways within the pelvis and back up to the spinal column nerves.

2. Endometriosis pain---Classically pain from endometriosis will be the worst during menstruation. Yet soreness is not a common way to describe this pain. If you have a family history of endometriosis this MIGHT be the culprit.

3. Recurrent yeast infections---If there are low levels of yeast they can sometimes overgrow around the time of menstruation. This produces vaginal/vulvar tenderness and even pain with urination as the urine stream touches the irritated tissues.

4. Genital herpes--Like yeast infections, if a woman has been exposed to genital herpes it may flare up around the time of menstruation. It will cause pain at the site of a herpes sore. Urine passing over a sore is so painful that a woman may not be able to urinate. Given that your daughter is never been sexually active I would rather doubt this is the problem.

She really needs a more thorough history and a brief exam to get the most accurate diagnosis--and targeted treatment. The best time to do this is when the symptoms are the worst. Please, please take her to your GYN or clinic for an evaluation.

In Concern,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.