Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
dark lines on inner walls of vagina
pattymc posted:
have been reading the discussions and unsure of what i have found. when i look at the vaginal walls , i guess this is labia, there are a few small black spots on one side then about 1/4 inch black line on other side. kinda looks like broken blood vessel. no pain to speak of. what could this be?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear pattymc: The labia (both the outer lips [labia majoria>, and inner lips [labia minora>) can have dark spots. These can be areas of darker pigment, like freckles. If they are raised they can be small moles ("flat nevi"). MUCH more rarely there can be melanomas on the genitals.

The black "line" could be a small varicose vein or even a superficial blood vessel. It might also be just more skin pigment.

There is an amazing amount of diversity to the coloration and markings of the genitals. When trying to definitively identify spots the best way is to have the spot examined by a GYN or clinic. If the GYN has concerns they can order a tiny skin biopsy of a darkened area.

Thanks for bring up this important topic. Until I became a GYN NP, and saw thousands of vaginas and vulvas, I too had questions about what was "normal".

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.