Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Lactating, Never Been Pregnant
An_249224 posted:
I'm 19 years old and have never been pregnant. I'm not on any type of birth control and use condoms every time I have sex. I have taken more than one pregnancy test in the last week, so I am absolutely positive I am not pregnant. Three years ago, I noticed a small, circular lump (pea sized) in my right breast. I went to my gyno and she said she believed it was a small cyst that was blocking a milk duct and that it would go away with time. I have carefully monitored it for any growth since then and it hasn't seemed to get any larger, but it has never gone away. Recently, creamy/white discharge has been coming from the breast with the cyst in it. The breast is sensitive to touch and has become very uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do to make this go away?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: No, this is not a candidate for self treatment--unless your GYN recommends something like warm/moist packs. Nipple discharge such as you have described can arise from a benign pituitary adenoma in the pituitary gland. Yet usually a pituitary problem will trigger nipple discharge from both breasts.

One can also have nipple discharge from a lesion. The most common lesion would be a galactocele. Here is the best description of this I could find:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-galactocele.htm

As you can note An_249224, these are more common after breastfeeding, but can occur without having been pregnant. I would urge you to return to your GYN about the nipple discharge. She can do a blood test for the pituitary cause (if indicated) and/or do an ultrasound of the breast (if indicated). The new onset breast tenderness needs to be evaluated in context with the discharge.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.