Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Umbilical hernia versus granuloma post hysterectomy
MommaCoco posted:
I had a (partial) hysterectomy, and have developed this "Umbilical hernia versus granuloma," what is the treatment options? Can it be removed?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear MommaCoco: An umbilical hernia near the bellybutton is similar to the a hernia in the groin area. A weakness in the muscular wall of the abdomen (eg at the site of an incision) allows internal structures (usually intestine) to push out and show up as a soft bulge. Here is an excellent overview (including treatment options) on umbilical hernias:

A granuloma is an area of inflammation which feels like a firm lump. In your case it can arise from an injury such as a surgical incision. Often it does not cause symptoms. If indicated it can be removed surgically.

The surgeon who is doing your work up would be in the best position to give you the exact diagnosis. The correct diagnosis would then dictate if further treatment was necessary.

As a personal aside, I once had a patient who developed a huge abdominal hernia following abdominal hysterectomy. Her abdomen measured like a 20 week pregnancy before surgical repair of the hernia.

MommaCoco replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you. the doctor who did my surgery is refusing to fix it, stating he cannot do it, and is trying to refer me elsewhere...

Helpful Tips

Keep Searching
Joanna, I just wanted to add my own experience of endometriosis. My period began about 2 months before my 16th birthday - yes very late. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.