Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Multiple cysts on both ovaries
Candice389 posted:
Went to the er on 11/30/2012 because i had felt a lump on my lower left abdomen. Doctor ran blood and urine pregnancy tests all came up negative. Performed a catscan on me that day, and said i had multiple cysts on both ovaries. In the report for my obgyn he stated bilateral cystic adnexal masses right:2.3cm and left:3.2cm as well as bilateral periadnexal free fluid as well as a small amount of free fluid in pelvis. Earlier this year I had been treated for chlymadia. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand this. I'm scared its ovarian cancer or that i may be infertile. P.S. I have a visit to the obgyn tomorrow but would like to put my mind at ease a little bit...Thank you for your time

Anon_6061 responded:
Ovarian cysts are common and very seldom cancerous. If the cysts are defined as "complex" (on the CT scan report) those are the ones that are of concern. BUT even most of those are benign. Fluid filled ones generally aren't problematic.

Generally, a CT scan report would indicate if the cyst(s) is complex and if it contains nodules, soft tissue, calcifications, and septations (thick or thin) for the most part. Free fluid in the pelvis may just indicate that a cyst ruptured.

Most cysts resolve on their own within a few months. Some require monitoring via ultrasound. If they continue to grow or look suspicious, they may need to be removed. I think they get concerned when they get over either 7cm or 9cm (can't recall) due to possible ovarian torsion. Usually, the cyst can be removed without removing the ovary. However, there are cases where the ovary can't be saved.

This site explains ovarian cysts - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/

Let us know how your appointment goes.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Candice: Anon _6061 has given you 100% correct information. Couldn't have written a better reply myself!

I wanted to address your question about a possible role of the chlamydia infection. There is a distant risk for developing a chlamydia caused abscess on the ovary. This is most likely with an untreated or inadequately treated chlamydia infection. It sounds like you received prompt treatment and have not had fever/high white blood count seen with these abscesses. Moreover, such masses tend to have characteristics of a complex cyst. Bottom line, my best GUESS is that your ovarian cysts are hormonal and not related to a pelvic infection.

Thanks for the excellent question (and excellent response from An_6061).

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.