Skip to content
Thinking of Retiring? Tips to Make It Great
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Looking forward to enjoying a certain quality of life after you retire? If you reach (or have reached) a healthy 65, you can probably expect to see your mid-80s -- possibly even your 90s. Your retirement might be quite a bit longer than it was for folks in earlier generations.

A longer life means more planning -- and I don't just mean your finances. Money is important, of course. Maybe you'll hold a part time job to keep more money in the bank. But your plan for your latter years should also include staying fit, vigorous, and strong. Not only will this minimize your health care costs. It will maximize your ability to live your life on your own terms.

Be sure to foster some solid social connections, both up to and during your retired years. Connecting with your family, friends, and other people in your community has been proven to work wonders for your vitality and health.

George Vaillant wrote a wonderful book called Triumphs of Experience, about the Harvard Grant Study on life trajectories. This study tracked the lives of a group of men from the 1930s -- when they were college sophomores -- all the way up to their 90s. One of the things the study showed was that love and social connections are the most important predictors of long-term happiness.

So I can't stress it enough! Make sure you stay connected with the world and the ones you love. And commit real time to those people and the things that interest you most.

Now, with that said, what plans are you making for retirement?

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.