Skip to content
Weight gain and missed period.
An_249326 posted:
I am 44, and about 6 mths ago I started putting on weight and my periods started going longer and longer between cycles.
I checked for hormone levels as I though I was postmenopausal, they came back normal.

Now it is 7 weeks and I still haven't had a period. I am not pregnant and my family history is for late menopause- around 55 to 57.
The doctors I go to say don't worry but I have a gut feeling something is not quite right (same as when I had a thyroid disease and no one listened then also). Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciate.

Anon_6061 responded:
Have you had a full thyroid panel recently to see if your thyroid meds need to be tweaked? You can't be postmenopausal until you've gone a full year without a period. During the perimenopausal timeframe leading up to menopause, hormone levels can fluctuate wildly hence the irregular cycles. This can also wreak havoc on thyroid levels.

denbriz replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks Anon_6061, I meant to put perimenopausal not post. Off to the Doctors tonight so I am glad I read this post before going.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.