EXTREMELY heavy bleeding, plus constant bloating
clcare posted:
I am soon to be 50; no kids; was on the pill for 20 yrs, but have been off birth control for about 10 yrs now. I have such heavy bleeding & sometimes get real dizzy & light-headed like I will pass out. Period is regular, but wasn't before the pill. Also, stomach gets so bloated & hard feeling (always had a 'beer' belly, but the hardness concerns me). Noticed recently I have a very watery 'pinkish' colored, very light blood NOT during my period. I am not sexually active & my last pap (& every) was normal. Could this possibly be fibroids, or is it just peri-menopause symptoms?? Don't know how much more I can handle, as I am afraid to even go out of the house during period week!

georgiagail responded:
Have you discussed these symptoms with your gynecologist?
Anemia would be a concern for your description of dizziness and light-headedness and this really should be checked out.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Heavy bleeding and even bloating seem to be fairly common complaints during perimenopause. The bleeding can deplete iron stores causing the light-headed and dizzy feeling. An iron supplement that absorbs well or lots of iron-rich foods (especially combined with vitamin C and avoidance of phytates) can help increase and maintain iron stores. (Of course, too much iron isn't good either which is why they say post-menopausal women shouldn't take multi-vitamins with iron.)

Have you tried NSAID's (such as Aleve or Motrin) for the heavy bleeding? This link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly shows an "up to 49%" reduction in flow from NSAID's. There are OTC and Rx NSAID's. This link lists other medications (hormonal and non-hormonal) and their % effectiveness in reducing flow. Here's the full article of pharmaceutical treatments for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/.

This information may be helpful in discussing this issue with your doctor.