Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Long spotting on birth control
malexis622 posted:
I recently had my annual checkup and my doctor informed me that my particular type of birth control (sprintec) could be taken monthly (as I have been taking it for the last 7 years) but also as a four cycle a year birth control. Following my exam, I began my next pack as the four cycle method and for the first month is was normal and fine, but beginning the last week when my normal cycle would begin I started spotting just a little. I knew this was normal and didn't worry about it and continued to take the active pills daily. I am now into my third week of my second pack and I am still spotting. Some days are rather heavy and very red and other days can be lighter and dark brown. I am concerned that going on a full month of spotting might not be normal. What could this mean?
Maggie

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Maggie: When "long cycle" regimens were first being used many GYNs worried that it would increase the incidence of breakthrough bleeding (BTB). Surprisingly, most of the research studies did not find this to be the case. Yet, in my clinical experience I would see women who had good cycle control on monthly regimens develop breakthrough bleeding when using active pills for longer durations. In those instances, if the BTB persisted, we would have the woman take a 5-7 day break from active pills then restart active pills. A bleed could result but it was always an orderly bleed which would stop.

Bottom line, if your BTB persists into the third pack, phone your GYN and let them know. They will advise you on what to do. Despite the presence of BTB your contraception coverage is still intact. The BTB is just super annoying.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.