Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
endometrial thickening
dkagr posted:
I am 54. Regular periods until which stopped June 2011. Went until Feb. 2012 without bleeding. Then on and off sometimes a full period, sometimes just a little spotting until Sept 2012. Went for regular checkup Dec. 2012. Gyn did vaginal ultrasound. Endometrial lining at 6mm. Put me on progesterone thinking I still have a little estrogen production but not progesterone. Going back in 2 months for another ultrasound. and possibly bx if it has not thinned. Is this normal... Is this most likely due to my going thru menopause..I am worried and cannot stop thinking about it. Help

Anon_6061 responded:
You have to go a full year without a period to be considered menopausal so you must be in perimenopause. It's not unusual for the lining to thicken during perimenopause due to the missed ovulations and irregular periods. BUT 6mm isn't too thick in premenopause. According to this link http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/21/6/1409.full, up to 16mm is normal for premenopause. And once you're in menopause, a normal lining should be less than 6mm.

Also, if you have fibroids or polyps, it can sometimes be difficult to differentiate those from a thickened lining on ultrasound. And those can cause abnormal bleeding (before or after menopause) yet are almost always harmless.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.