Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Essure complication
An_249460 posted:
I should start by saying that I have been with my Dr. for 20 years, I am 41 years old now and have a wonderful huband, an 18 year old daughter and 17 year old son and still on birth control pills. I desided and agree to have done the Essure prosedure on 12-06-12, which wad convinient for me. My Dr. has been performing this procedure for many years and never has had any complications with any of his patients. Two days later on Saturday I started experiencing a sharp pain on the right side, it felt like I was being stabbed. At the same time I was feeling very bloaded and full of gases. The pain continued through all Sunday. I though it had more to do with the gases being stuck in my intestines and that’s why I was feeling so miserable. I called the Dr’s office on Monday, I was recommended gas pills to help me realize the nasty painful gases.

The next day on Tuesday the Dr’s office calles to follow up, I told them I was still having the sharp pain on the right side and now it was also in the middle, and occasionally a sharp pain down my right leg. They immediately ask me to come in for a check up. The Dr. did a sonogram and asked me to get an urgent X-ray done because he didn’t like what he was seen. I was able to get the X-ray done that same night. It so happened that the right coil had moved out of my Fallopian tube and it was in the middle.

Early the next morning on 12-12-12 my Dr. calls me, asking if I had not eatten or drank anything yet to go to the ER. I was treated at the ER like VIP thanks to my Dr., he performed a hysteroscopy to remove the coils via the vagina and then a laparoscopy through the belly button and small incision on the bikini line and he clipped my Fallopian tubes.

The coil that was in the middle had perforated a wall close to my intestines, it was also next to a nerve and that explains the pain down my right leg.

I am so greatful to have such a wonderful Dr. A truly humble and down to earth loving person that cares so much for his patients well being. He explained to me that my body apparently rejected the Essure coils.

So for those women thinking of the Essure procedure, it’s a risk you’re taking and you will not know until afterwords if it will work for you. For those women experiencing discomfort or any pain, I will suggest to see your Dr. because according to my Dr. it’s not normal to experience any pain a few days after the procedure.

I hope my message can help any women out there experiencing what I just went through.

Arelys Gil

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Arelys: Thanks for writing about your complication after Essure placement. You are right, it was a gift that your GYN took your complaints of atypical pain seriously and then did thorough testing. As you have noted, one can have complications from just about any procedure. While they are rare (fortunately) IUDs can perforate and move through the wall of the uterus. Even an in office endometrial biopsy can go through the wall of the uterus. So it is important to get things checked out if there is significant or persisting pain.

In Appreciation,
Jane

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.