Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Help!!!
An_249468 posted:
Hi all, im new here n hope to find hope! i am 33 and had my 2 kids thru CS, had tubes tied cos the Docs said it i risky for me to carry another pregnancy. buh i guess i was so scared dt i accepted bt nw i regret ever accepting,dts d stupiest tin i av ever done! I want to have another baby how poosible is it?

Take the Poll

can i get pregnant after tubes tied?
  • yes
  • yes
vote
View Poll Results

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: A number of factors have been identified which influence the failure rate for BTLs. These include age of woman (older women get pregnant less frequently), the type of procedure used, and whether clips or rings were done while the tubes were more dilated (during immediate postpartum). There have been numerous studies of the failure rates of different techniques. The following represents a summary of those studies.

Pomeroy Procedure (section of tube surgically removed)--- 1.0% (Nardin, 2003), 1.0% (Robinson, 2004), 0% (Oligbo, 2009)
Unipolar Coagulation--- 0.75% (Peterson, 1996)
Bipolar Coagulation--- 2.48% (Peterson, 1996)
Filshie Clip--- 0.9% (Dominik, 2000), 0.34 % (MacKenzie, 2009), 1.1% (Oligbo, 2009)
Hulka Spring Clip--- 3.6 % (Peterson,1996), 2.8% (Dominik, 2000)
Silastic Rings--- 1.7% (Peterson, 1996)

According to Peterson (1996) and his work group at Centers for Disease Control, the highest failure rates of BTL have been for women under the age of 30 receiving bipolar coagulation (5.4%), and Hulka clips (5.2%).

Unfortunately, if a woman with a tubal ligation conceives there is a much higher chance of having it being an ectopic, commonly known as tubal, pregnancy. Napolitano (1996) identified a 36% rate of ectopics in women with a failed tubal ligation. Peterson and colleagues (1997) followed over 10,000 women for 5-14 years after BTL. The rate of ectopic pregnancy in that very large group was less than 1%. Because of the duration of follow up, Peterson was able to determine that the risk of an ectopic pregnancy was just as high 4-10 years after surgery as during the first 3 years.

To summarize, overall tubal ligations fail in 1.3% or less of procedures. If one does become pregnant, up to 33% can be ectopic pregnancies (Awonuga, 2009).

For a discussion on the success rate of having a baby after BTL, click on this link:

http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-health/2010/05/the-tie-that-binds-should-i-have-my-tubes-tied-part-3.html

Yours,
Jane

ngchidibliss replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks very much Dr Jane, d analysis on d BTL success rate was very helpful. well im 33 n hope it works for me. Above all I will seek advice from my GYN. Gracias.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.