Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
discomfort in the vaginal tract
An_249481 posted:
feel an itchy and discomforting sensation in my vaginal tract oftenlly and severe during white vaginal discharging and menstruation for more than 4 years. i have visited doctors and carried ultra sound but no as such diagnose. please help me out.

madoo responded:
4get to mention that i am 20 years old and virgin

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear madoo: The most likely explanation would be a sub-clinical yeast infection which flares up around the time of menstruation. Many of us carry around low counts of yeast organisms which are not troublesome until they overgrow. Around the time of menstruation is a classic time for this to occur.

The easiest way to help unravel this question is to have the GYN do a yeast CULTURE during the time you have the worst symptoms. If the culture is negative then yeast is not the cause. Some other conditions which can produce yeast type symptoms include:

1. Cytolytic vaginitis--this is an overgrowth of the beneficial, hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacili that help keep the vagina clear of undesirable bacteria. An overgrowth can produce an itchy, burning, irritating discharge. Under the microscope yeast will be absent but there will be many short rod lactobacilli.

2. Lichen sclerosus--this is a skin condition outside the vagina (usually between the vaginal opening and the anus) that can create intense itching and irritation.

3. Lichen planus---this is an autoimmune condition which impacts the first third of the vaginal canal. Under the microscope discharge will show many white blood cells and immature skin cells.

4. Contact dermatitis--this would be from a change in tampons/pads, new bubble bath, etc. I would doubt this in your case since you have had the irritation for four years.

Given that you are a virgin, a sexually transmitted infection, is not a likely culprit. My advice would be to see a GYN when you know the symptoms are going to be the worst. You can even ask them directly about some of the possible conditions noted above. Gosh, we hope that you can find a definite cause--and cure.

Yours,
Jane

madoo replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you sooo much.
Stay blessed

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.