Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
10 days late; 2 negative HPT, had baby 9 months ago
kaga1981 posted:
Hello,

Am sure a similar question has already posted before. Before I do the blood test though, I was wondering if you can think of any possible explaination to my problem.
I had a baby 9 months ago, after 5 months my periods returned and they were regular. The only difference bewteen the periods after and before giving birth was that I had no PMS and no cramping.
I have not had any changes to my lifestyle or increased stress level. Also, have not been using any contraception. Last month I had unprotected sex twice just round the time of ovulation.
My period is around 10 days late now, two tests proved to be negative, I have no early signs of pregnancy and and cannot think of any reason why my period would be late. Any suggestions?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear kaga: Two things jump out from your history. The first is that your last three months of menstrual periods were not marked by usual PMS or cramping. These can be considered classic signs of a period which was not preceded by an ovulation. Similarly, absent/late cycles are most often caused by a missed ovulation--once pregnancy has been ruled out.

A woman can have apparently regular flows and yet still not be having regular ovulations. How can this happen? In a cycle without an ovulation, estrogen stimulation (assisted by the hormone FSH ) will continue to make the lining of the uterus grow thicker and thicker. In the absence of a LH surge, no ovulation will occur. The progesterone level will not rise. When the follicle that contains the un-ovulated egg involutes the woman's blood estrogen level will drop. This triggers much of the lining to be shed. Thus if it takes two to three weeks for the follicle and un-ovulated egg to regress, the woman may have somewhat regular bleeds.

Second, you mentioned that you have been having unprotected sex since the birth of your nine month old. Are you by any chance breastfeeding? If so, this increases prolactin levels from the pituitary gland which will interfere with regular ovulations. As you have likely read, there can be many causes of missed ovulations.

I concur with your decision to follow up on the two negative tests, possibly with a blood HCG level.

Congrats on your new child!

Yours,
Jane

kaga1981 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane,

Thank you kindly you for your response.

I am not breastfeeding anymore. I stopped a few months ago as my production ceased. I guess I was just surprised since I have never had a late period. What I seemed to forget though is that it takes a while for the body to get back to normal after pregnancy and giving birth.
I do not think I am pregnant but just in case I will have the blood test done and conuslt with my gyn if I don't get my period for a while.

Thank you so much again.

Aga

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.