Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
TESTS TO BE CONDUCTING FOR A 5 MONTHS PREGNANT WOMAN...
twin_123 posted:
KINDLY ADVICE WHAT ARE THE TEST NEEDS TO BE CONDUCTED SO AS TO KNOW THE OVERALL DEVELOPMENT OF THE TWIN BABIES...I AM ASKING THIS QUESTION ON BEHALF OF MY DAUGHTER..SHE IS EXPECTING TWINS AND WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT OUR DAUGHTERS HEALTH....WE REQUIRE AN EXPERT SUGGESTIONS

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear twin_123: Alas, I do not have specialty training in perinatology or high risk pregnancy issues so this will have to be a more general answer. Most women will have an extensive ultrasound between 18-22 weeks. At this time various organ systems will be checked and measurements taken. Here is a link to the best description (in lay person language) of all the parts of baby anatomy that will be examined:

http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy-tests/anatomy-ultrasound-pregnancy

Additionally, the ultrasound will evaluate the placenta and amount of amniotic fluid. Your daughter's OB can give her really good information on management of a twin pregnancy.
In my experience, your daughter will be monitored closely given the presence of more than one baby.

On a more personal note, our daughter also had twins and she continued to teach aerobic classes and work out until she went into labor at about 38 weeks. Both twins were born at healthy weights. Her main problem was trying to breastfeed both and get them on a similar schedule so she could get some sleep....Best wishes to your daughter in her new role as mom of twins.

Yours,
Jane

fcl responded:
I had twins and can only say that they do exactly the same tests for twins as for singletons with the possible exception of ultrasounds - some may request more ultrasounds than others.

What exactly is it that you are worrying about in your daughter's health? Perhaps it would ease your mind if she saw her doctor and discussed her concerns with her/him?

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.