Includes Expert Content
I desperately need help. I don't know what to do anymore.
An_249586 posted:
I had this small mark on my lip that I thought was a black head, so I popped it and it only bled, so I figured it was just a blood blister. Well, it grew to about the size of the head of a pencil. It was sensitive and after I'd shower it would be bleeding. It grew some more and now I've been dealing with this for at least a month and now its the size of a pencil's eraser. I've tried Neosporin with a bandaid over it, I've tried Abreva, I've tried drying it out and using hydrogen peroxide, I've tried draining it, which when I do it bleeds for several minutes if not over an hour when it's really bad and when it does drain, the blood pumps out in rhythm with my heart beat. I haven't been able to be seen by my regular doctor because my insurance doesn't kick in till the first of the year. This thing has gotten so red and large that I don't like going out in public anymore because I can't deal with people staring at me. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You need to be seen by a doctor as no one on an internet board can tell you what it is.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: tlkittycat is correct, but I would like to add an additional note. It sounds like you have tried to treat it as either an infection or as a oral herpes lesion. You did not mention your age, but there are a number of skin lesions which might be the cause of your lesion. One POSSIBLE explanation would be a venous lake. You can Google "venous lake photo" to see some pictures.

Until you can see a MD I would urge you to not try and drain or pop the lesion--this lets normal skin bacteria in where they can set up an infection. The lip can be a difficult area to cover up, alas.

If your regular MD is uncertain, they can refer you on to a dermatologist for a more "for sure" diagnosis.

Yours,
Jane