Skip to content
problem of fibroid in uterus
jayantika posted:
my mom is 43 years old.she has a fibroid in her uterus which is non-malignant as per the results of a cervical pap smear test..she's having irregular periods with heavy bleeding..in such a case,can i be sure that her uterus is safe from cancer??should her uterus be removed by surgery or is there some medication for it?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Irregular periods with heavy bleeding is common with uterine fibroids. Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that do not become cancerous.

There are many treatments for fibroids.

http://women.webmd.com/uterine-fibroids/uterine-fibroids-treatment-overview

I had an abdominal myomectomy that removed my fibroids and preserved my uterous. My doctor and I chose that option to preserve my fertility as I still wanted kids. Preserving her fertility may not be a concern for your mom.

Anon_6061 responded:
How kind and caring of you to advocate for your mom!
Hysterectomy is commonly done for fibroids. However, it's oftentimes unnecessary. Fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) growths that usually shrink after menopause. Only very rarely can they become cancerous (less than 1 in 1,000). If they aren't causing debilitating symptoms, there's no need to surgically remove the fibroids themselves (via hysteroscopic resection of the fibroids or myomectomy) or the uterus.

Hysterectomy is the most overused (unnecessary) surgery after c-section. A study revealed that 76% of them do not meet ACOG criteria. But hysterectomy also has long term health risks (as well as the short term surgical risks) even when the ovaries (gonads) are retained. You can find these via a web search and by reading studies in PubMed. Hysterectomy forums are an insight into women's experiences.

Heavy bleeding is common with fibroids and there are meds, hormonal (such as birth control pills, progestins) and non-hormonal (such as OTC or Rx NSAID's - Motrin, Aleve, tranexamic acid - Lysteda) that can reduce bleeding. Here's a table showing the various pharmaceutical treatments for heavy bleeding and their percent effectiveness - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly.
Here's the full document from which this link was taken -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/.

If the heavy bleeding has caused iron deficiency anemia, iron can be taken to restore and maintain iron levels. Taking iron with vitamin C and away from foods high in phytates will maximize absorption. Of course, these are things she should discuss with her doctor (GP or gynecologist).

fcl responded:
As the others have said, there are many options for fibroids - not just hysterectomy. Personally, my gyn gave me the least invasive option, a hormonal treatment to shrink them. Your mother needs to discuss her options with her doctor. However, if her fibroids are not bothering her there is no need to do anything about them.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.