Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Starting a new pack of birth control pills late
An_249639 posted:
I've been on birth control pills for about three years now, and I've always been good about taking them on time and refilling on time. My refill time this week is right around the holidays, so my campus pharmacy is closed, of course. I usually take three weeks of active pills, then one week of the inactive pills and get my period during that week. I start each new pack on Sunday, but because of this issue with the local pharmacy closing, I won't be able to get my pills until Wednesday. Should I just wait until next Sunday to start my new packs of pills or should I start Wednesday? And if I start Wednesday, how exactly do I go about taking the pills I've missed properly?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: You have a couple of options. You can start on Wednesday (making that your new start date) and take on pill per day. You must use a back up method for a minimum of a week because you will have been away from the ovulation suppression effects for a full ten days.

If that will be too confusing (changing start date) you could opt to wait until next Sunday and use the "Quick Start" method. To do "Quick Start" one first has to be assured that they are not pregnant. The birth control pills (BCPs) can be started at anytime but must be followed by a seven day usage of a reliable back up method. If there has been any unprotected sex since being off your last active pills one needs to do a pregnancy test two weeks after starting the "Quick Start" regimen.

As always it is best to consult with the GYN or clinic who wrote your prescription. You can call the clinic and leave a message for them to call you back about which method they would suggest--or perhaps they have another preference.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.