Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Irritation of Penis from hysterectomy scarring
An_249642 posted:
I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and my husband just recently told me that 3 months after the surgery when we began intercourse again, the internal scarring from the surgery would scratch his penis. He now says he no longer feels any discomfort during sex. My question is is this internal scarring normal and how long does it take for it to heal?

Anon_6061 responded:
Internal scarring is normal because the vagina has to be sewn shut. Refraining from intercourse for the recommended time (usually 6 weeks) is considered adequate for healing. But scar tissue can take much longer to "flatten" and "smooth out." You've probably had some scars over the years that have become less "bumpy" and more faint over the years. I assume it would be the same for this scar - gradual improvement over time.

Helpful Tips

Menopause
The age of is not certain,It may at the age below 40. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.