Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
prolonged menstrual bleeding and perimenopause
puddlejumpingthroughlife posted:
I am on day 28 of prolonged, heavy menstrual bleeding. I am also peri menopausal. My last period was in July, and lasted about 12 days. My periods have been irregular for about 2 years now, and there is no predicting how long it will be until my next period. At this point, I'm wondering if there is some correlation to the perimenopause and this extended bleeding. I've also recently been diagnosed withs stage 2 Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, and I've read that there can sometimes be a connection between liver disease and heaving menstrual bleeding. I will consult with my gyn this week, but am also wondering if anyone else has experienced this before the onset of menopause, or in conjunction with liver disease.

Anon_6061 responded:
Prolonged and/or heavy bleeding, as well as changes in cycle length, are fairly common during perimenopause since ovulations can be sporadic. The lack of ovulations causes the lining to build up which must then be shed.

There are hormonal (such as birth control pills, progestins) and non-hormonal (such as OTC or Rx NSAID's - Motrin, Aleve, tranexamic acid - Lysteda) meds that are effective in reducing flow. Here's a table showing the various pharmaceutical treatments for heavy bleeding and their percent effectiveness - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly .
Here's the full document from which this link was taken -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/ .

If the heavy bleeding has caused iron deficiency (as determined by blood work), iron can be taken to restore and maintain iron levels. Taking iron with vitamin C and away from foods high in phytates will maximize absorption. Of course, these are things you should discuss with her doctor (GP or gynecologist).

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.