Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
sore breasts
whatthe3 posted:
why would my breasts hurt really bad for over 3 years after my hysterectomy

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear whatthe: Bilateral breast tenderness (once pregnancy has been ruled out) often has some type of hormonal cause. For example, if your ovaries are still in place you are still making estrogen, but you may not be making progesterone if you are missing ovulations. This is similar to the increased breast tenderness experienced by some women when first taking postmenopausal hormone therapy which includes estrogen. Similarly, if you were started on estrogen only therapy after ovary removal that can trigger breast fullness and tenderness.

There are many other, non-hormonal, causes of breast pain (eg infections, herpes zoster) but most often these occur on one breast —not both. Sometimes breast pain is actually caused by an inflammation in the chest wall or lungs. Muscular pain (eg snow shoveling) can feel like pain from the breast. Lastly, breast cancer can rarely present with breast pain.

It's not clear to me if your bilateral breast pain has been present ever since the hysterectomy, or if suddenly, after three years the pain appeared. Either way your best bet is to get a focused breast exam (with mammogram or ultrasound if indicated) from your GYN or clinic.

Yours,
Jane

sb9000 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
my partner (male) has a lump under his nipple area on left side it feels hot to touch sometimes and and he is well overall but at first it was soft but now feels a little hard doctor said it feel like a cyts but i'm really worried

jillwozhere replied to sb9000's response:
When I was around 29 years old, four years after my last child was born, I experienced breast tenderness, not unlike when you are pregnant or when your breasts fill with milk when breast feeding. I knew I as not pregnant, so it concerned me enough that I went to two different doctors, who did a breast examination and told me I was fine, but with no explanation to put me at ease. Finally I saw a woman doctor, who took the time to sit and explain to me that what I was experiencing was caused by hormones and there was no reason to panic. She did also offer me a breast scan should I still be worried, but she'd put my mind at ease. I've had that tenderness a few times since, but no longer worried about it.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to jillwozhere's response:
Dear jillwozhere: Thanks for taking the time to share your personal experience. Sometimes that has more weight than a scientific study's data or a published citation.

Yours,
Jane

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to sb9000's response:
Dear sb9000: While breast cancer in men is MUCH less common than among women it can still occur. Here is a link to more background information about this:

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/breast-cancer-men

It is possible for a man to have a breast cyst as well. If it feels hot and is now very firm, it is reasonable to have it rechecked--or to get a second opinion. If needed the area can have a fine needle biopsy. Any actual tissue removed is sent to the lab for analysis. Breast surgeons also see men for evaluations.

Yours,
Jane

An_249733 responded:
caffeine and sometimes chocolate can cause tender breasts. Try eliminating caffeine for 3-4 days, if no tenderness, then you will know. If it continues try eliminating chocolate..Bummer. isn't it?

isade replied to An_249733's response:
I have always had fibrocystitis in my breasts, and the symptoms are painful cysts. I am now post menopausal,
and still have them mostly on one side. I drink no caffiene, but do eat chocolate, and I do believe that chocolate is the culprit!
dang.
Before I quit the coffee, they were really bad, esp. the week before menstration.

menaone responded:
Dear whatthe3 check your Prolactin level
Increased Prolactin level can causes breast tenderness amoung other symptoms. I wish you well

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.