Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
blood clots well on period
An_249683 posted:
I went to the bathroom not to long ago and i went to go pee and i heard aa small thug in the toilet so i looked down and it was a blood clot the size of a small orange it hurt for a min before it came out like bad then it stopped now i am in alot of pain like bad period cramps is this a bad thing

AislinTerra77 responded:
I JUST had the same thing happen to me! The pain woke me from a dead sleep.....and it felt like I was in labor....then when I went to the bathroom, I found it on my pad....I have EXTREMELY heavy bleeding and lots of pain in the groin area. If anyone has an answer to this PLEASE let me know!!!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to AislinTerra77's response:
Dear AislinTerra and An: There is an enzyme produced by the lining of the uterus designed to keep menstrual blood from clotting. This allows the menstrual fluid to more readily pass out of the tiny cervical canal and into the vagina.

When a woman is bleeding very heavily during her period the amount of flow surpasses the amount of enzyme--thus leading to passage of large clots. However, the action of this enzyme is localized to the inside of the uterus so it should not have anything to do with inability of other blood to clot. When these large clots are passed there can be significant cramping as the uterine muscle works to push the clot through the narrow cervical canal.

If either of you are at risk for an undetected pregnancy, a very early pregnancy loss should be ruled out with a sensitive urine pregnancy test. While this is the situation that most women worry about, it is less common than the explanation given above.

If severe pain and/or large clots or heavy bleeding continue you should see your GYN or clinic for follow up.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

suggestion
hi. i have dealt with the same issues discussed. i have dealt with pelvic congestion for 5 years. i just wanted to recommend going to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.