Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
urinary tract infection strep found
An_249692 posted:
I just found that I have a strep infection in my urine and I had already been put on cipro and now they want to add penicillan. I have had a history of UTI's in the past and now again/ I had a rectocele operation in 2012 and a bladder lift in late 2011, I also had a attempted ablation in 2012 with no success. I had open heart surgery in 2004, double by pass but doc found that it had failed and grew new vessels. I am now experiencing a burning in my stomach when I eat, it came on after using the cipro, so not sure if it is causing it or not, I am also very tired, and sweat profusely when I exert myself. I am 70 and understand there is an 8% fatality from this condition, now I am scared, with all my other maladies, am I at risk.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Alas, I cannot give you a for sure answer about the fatigue and sweating when exerting yourself--that MIGHT be a cardiac symptom. I can tell you that the burning in your stomach might be from the ciprofloxin. Here is a link to the side effects associated with Cipro:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-93-CIPROFLOXACIN - ORAL.aspx?drugid=1124&drugname=cipro oral&pagenumber=6

Please, please call your primary care MD about the profuse sweating and fatigue. That kind of symptom can indicate coronary problems, and you are correct, you have significant risk factors for this.

In Concern,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.