Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Weird Episode
Anon_102137 posted:
About six months ago I had a strange episode. I was taking a shower, when I had the strangest feeling. I was bent over double with my stomach tied up in knots. I literally felt the color leave my face. I couldn't see straight or breathe good. I yelled for my husband and that's the last thing I remember. He said I didn't pass out but he had to help me to the bed. He also told me that my face was completely gray. I honestly felt like I was dying. Someone told me it could have been a panic attack but I'm not sure. I have not had another episode like this again, but I was just wanting to get some thoughts as to what it could've been. Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
?Perhaps an episode of hypotension caused by standing upright in a hot shower?

Just a guess since it doesn't sound as if this has repeated nor have you gotten this looked into medically.

Gail

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Georgiagail has given an accurate GUESS, as one can have a sudden episode of low blood pressure when standing in a hot shower. Blood vessels dilate and total blood pressure can drop. A panic attack is another possible culprit.

My best GUESS would be a vaso-vagal response. Here is a link to a good description of this courtesy of the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-syncope/DS00806/DSECTION=causes

I have had a similar experience when a GYN was having a difficult time inserting an IUD. It seemed like sounds were becoming distant and something bad was happening--but I could not make anyone in the room aware of this. If you have any further episodes you should see your primary care MD. There are less common causes (eg heart arrhythmia) that would need to be ruled out.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.