Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dealing with PCOS
dealing_with_it posted:
Well i am here seeking advice on dealing with my PCOS I was diagnosed at 16 with a severe case of PCOS that has literally been a plague to me my entire life. I am no longer under medication because i cant deal with the side effects i went from a size 14 to a size 24 while taking the appropriate meds and this to me was very difficult i am a super active person and this has ruined my life so to speak. Currently i am trying to learn how to manage my symptoms all natural. I would really enjoy the help in learning how to go about this because i cant do the harsh treatments anymore. The pills have rotted my stomach lining so now i can no longer eat the foods i enjoy and that makes my life hard since i am a cook. so a rundown of everything my symptoms and such right now are as follow: irregular periods with bleeding i go threw the pain the bloating every 2 to 3 weeks but i wont actually shed my lining for months at a time longest time period has been over a year and a half. Stomach ulcers, chronic yeast infections and UI problems, weight gain, bad skin, body hair, thinning hair (horrible combination gaining were i don't want it losing where i do yuck!)...... and my latest batch of testing noticed i have cells which are not cancerous yet but could develop.....oh joy that was a great birthday present alright. ........I am young and i have had to deal with this problem for so many years it has not just taken a tole physically but also mentally it is something that runs in my family we know this now so we can be prepared for this, I have been advices when i was 20 that having children for me isn't impossible but is not likely to be easy i understand accept and honestly don't want children so if i could get a doctor to comply id get a total hysterectomy and be done with it anyway that's my story any advice on how i can go about keeping my symptoms in check would be awesome kinda flying blind here i don't have the money to go back to the doctors and have them tell me there isn't really anything they can do and shove more pills down my throat that for me have done more harm than good.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear dealing_with_it: Gosh, I wish there was a "natural way" to treat PCOS. The only treatments I am aware of which might be considered natural are as follows:

Natural micronized progesterone (eg "Prometrium")--This is even FDA approved for the treatment of missed periods. With the lack of ovulations that characterize PCOS, there is also a lack of enough progesterone to make the lining of the uterus shed every month. One can use this treatment every month of so to kick start a period, but it doesn't treat all the underlying hormonal issues of PCOS.

Weight loss---In one study of 263 women with PCOS, those who were overweight (e.g., BMI of 25 or more) had more irregular menstruations than those who weighed less. This fact correlates with the known improvement in fertility seen when women with PCOS lose weight. While I usually suggest to women that a loss of 15% of current weight will improve ovulation functions, there are studies which have found benefit in losing only 5-10% of current body weight. When ovulation is restored most all the hormonal problems (hair loss, acne, etc) turn around, too.

You mentioned that you were previously very active, and that as a cook you know about nutrition. This is in your favor if you want to avoid the usual medications for PCOS (eg metformin, birth control pills, etc).

A hysterectomy would resolve the menstrual symptoms; removal of ovaries would improve PCOS. Yet there still may be the "metabolic syndrome" also sometimes known as "Syndrome X". Here is more about this:

http://www.webmd.com/heart/metabolic-syndrome/default.htm

It sounds like you have had an up hill battle given the severity of your symptoms--and a strong family history of PCOS. That is a lot to have to endure. I'm grieved at your loss of quality of life, and I wish I had more natural methods which have shown to be effective to treat PCOS.

In Support,
Jane

tri60sh responded:
If you haven't had your thyroid tested, I suggest you do. Have them run all the tests, Not just a TSH, but Free T4 and Free T3 as well as a check for antibodies. Hypothyroidism is sometimes connected to PCOS and many of the symptoms that you have. Best of luck.

Nicole111 responded:
Hi Dear,
Your situation is near and dear to my heart. I am 32 yrs old and was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 17. By the time I was about 19 I was fed up with the medicines and being sick. Most of all I was scared I would never be able to have children. I started reading about natural alternatives but was apprehensive to go at it alone. I stumbled across a website that discussed naturopathic medicine. I sought a practitioner out and dedicated myself to the process (I had nothing to lose and only health to gain). Now at 32 yrs. I am the mother of two children and live with a normal monthly menstrual cycle without the use of prescription medicines. I advise you to seek out a naturopathic physician. It's important to eliminate ALL sugars. And start giving your body the nutrition it really needs. But I do believe you shouldn't go at it alone but have a knowledgeable professional to guide you. Do a google search for pcos and naturopathic medicine. You will find all sorts of information. You said you are a cook so that will go a long way in taking care of yourself. I truly believe if you feed the body the right nutrients it will be able work effectively and being to reverse disease in this situation.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.