Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal Cut
HippyShay posted:
Has anyone here ever had a vaginal cut? How did you deal with it?? I didn't realize I'd totally chipped my nail, and when I went to wipe- OUCH. Now i have 4 tiny (almost paper-cut-like) scratches right near the outer opening of my vag where my nail sliced across. It's been a while and it still doesn't want to heal. I've been putting Neosporin on it and it seems to help, but it's just not healing (the scratches have never gotten infected as I stay really clean and have no sex life, so that makes it easier). I'm 20, unemployed, and a college student and can't afford to see a Dr right now about this. Someone mentioned diaper cream helps so I'm gonna try it. Any other suggestions?? MUCH appreciated!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear HippyShay: Diaper creams can contain zinc oxide or some times petrolatum ( more like vasoline), to provide a moisture barrier. Lanolin or anti-yeast ingredients may be added as well. While you can certainly try a diaper cream, Neosporin is a blend of three different antibiotics in a petroleum jelly base so you should already be getting the moisture barrier effect. Keeping it clean and dry is one of the best things you can do.

If the area really is not healing then one might consider some other culprits as contributing to the slow recovery:

1. Undiagnosed yeast infection---Yeast can inflame the skin both creating paper-cut like scratches, and making the area more inflamed.

2. Lichen sclerosus (LS)--LS is an autoimmune skin condition which can make the skin between the vaginal opening and anus very thin ("parchment like"). It can fissure easily and take longer to heal. Yet, usually the woman will complain of marked itching in the area.

It sounds like you had a known trauma (sharp finger nail) so hopefully it will heal. Should it persist you may want to be seen by your local county family planning clinic as they usually have a sliding fee scale for unemployed students. They can assess for yeast or lichen sclerosus.

Yours,
Jane

HippyShay replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Wow Dr. Jane, thank you so much for your help and advice! I have been using diaper cream for the past week while on my period, and with my use of tampons, it helps to keep the area that much more dry and able to heal. I do notice the tears are healing and are virtually unnoticeable now, but with the healing process comes a slight itching. I hadn't mentioned it before because I had assumed it was apart of the healing process (like when a scratch on ur hand is healing, it usually itches before it heals). The itching isn't bad, and it only comes when my scratches are trying to heal but may be the thing preventing them from healing? I wouldnt think it would be yeast issues because the itching is ONLY where the scratches are and dont spread to any other area. Are there any other symptoms or trademarks associated with yeast issues or LS? Thank you again for everything!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to HippyShay's response:
Dear HippyShay: I would concur, if only the scratches are itching (and no other places), vulvar yeast is unlikely. Ditto lichen sclerosus as it tends to involve broader areas. Hopefully this is going to heal, as you mentioned it can be hard to keep the area dry because of vaginal secretions, perspiration, etc.

Yours,
Jane

HippyShay replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your professional advice on the matter I will continue on with what I'm doing and hopefully it'll heal up, thanks again

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.