Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
spotting for period last two months
shaylac posted:
hi, last month i got my period 2 days late it came with a little cramping but they where mostly back cramps later that day i got home and the bleeding had completely stopped! the next day i bled off and on... i used one pad and then i switched to panty liners... this month period came with no signs two days early this time... no cramps no tender breasts nothing! i passed one clot and the bleeding stopped now im just spotting.. when i wipe its barley blood and sometimes its mixed with discharge... CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME whats going on

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear shaylac: Once an undetected pregnancy has been ruled out, the most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—as a missed or late period. Alternatively, the built up lining can begin to shed on its own creating erratic bleeding patterns which are usually "too-light" or super heavy and prolonged. It is also typical for non-ovulatory bleeds to not have the usual PMS symptoms and period cramps.

There can be many causes for not ovulating: low thyroid, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with boyfriends/girlfriends, money/job worries), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

Lastly shaylac, everything I have just shared with you pertains to women who are NOT using a form of hormonal birth control. If you are using an oral contraceptive, or DepoProvera, or other hormonal contraceptive you may miss a period (s) or have a too light flow for an entirely different reason. Once pregnancy has been "ruled out" (because even reliable methods fail) one can usually assume that the period change is "normal" or "OK". Unlike the scenarios discussed above, women on hormonal contraception have both estrogen and progesterone available. If the synthetic progesterone is dominant, it can artificially make the uterine lining very thin. So the woman misses her "Pill period" or it is very much lighter than normal.

Bottom line, rule of pregnancy first. If this pattern continues into a third month (and you are not using hormonal birth control) see your GYN or clinic.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.